fullness of joy

 It's the last day of April, and we're a little over a month into one of the prettiest springs I can remember in Oregon. I'm sure the colors have always been this vibrant - luscious pinks and apple greens and vivid blues - but for some reason they are all standing out to me this month, each hue practically begging to be its own backdrop for an impromptu picture.















 We're taking advantage of the warm weather and sunny days and engaging in long leisurely walks around the neighborhood. We are blessed to live in an area where dozens of trails are tucked in between houses and cul-de-sacs...  each trail has a myriad of options to choose from as well, making for a different adventure every day, if we so choose. The arrival of my mom last week coincided nicely with a change in the weather- April showers seem to be slowly ebbing and giving way to all things flowery and wonderful.






And speaking of flowery and wonderful ...



outfit from papa, bunny from nana :)





Little Miss Macie just keeps getting prettier and sweeter every day. I've gotten to babysit my grandbaby already, and it's like deja vu holding this little doll. She seems to be the perfect combination of her mommy and daddy - and all of my babies !-  rolled into one little bundle of cuteness. She has the most easy-going manner, but that little hint of a dimple makes me think she has a bit of spunk to her personality that we've yet to experience. No telling who she will be, but at the moment we are all quite smitten.






Our school year will be a drawing to a close in another month or so... in the mean time, we are filling our mornings with studying and spelling tests and reading and math lessons. The nice weather has been a tremendous motivator to get our schoolwork finished so the kids can go outside to play. One little person in particular is happiest when he's experiencing the great outdoors....





....give that boy a stick and some rocks and dirt to play with, and he's as happy as can be. My most needy child seems to forget that he was born wanting to be held by someone 24/7 as soon as we bring him outside. He will inspect every leaf, pebble and crack in the ground without so much as a peep  for an hour or more, every once in a while grinning up at us as if to say, "thank you- this is just where I want to be." Lots of hours soaking up the sunshine and exploring the world outside makes for long naps afterwards, and sweet sleep at night as well. One early morning last week, I heard him laughing in his sleep; if I know my little boy, he was dreaming of a pile of dirt with some sticks and stones thrown in for good measure. Frogs and snails and puppy dog tails, that's what Hayden is made of....







And just as true as that old nursery rhyme is for Hayden, the other half can be applied to his older sister Abigail. Sugar and spice and everything nice, that's what our Abi-girl is made of. She loves cooking and baking and sewing and decorating, and she is probably going to surpass her older sister Mackenzie soon in all areas domestic. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she fulfills her dream of opening a bakery some day, as she is constantly dreaming up some new dessert for our family to enjoy. Last night she made a carrot cake from scratch for all of us, and I don't think I've ever tasted a finer version of that particular  dessert. It's a good thing I have six weeks worth of Weight Watcher's will power built up, or I would have eaten the whole thing myself.






Just a few more photos from this month ....


Josiah on the left with Macie, Jason with Norah


My two oldest babies have baby girls. How is this possible ?? Seems just yesterday my husband and his brother were posing for a similar photo, their baby girls in their arms and the same proud looks on their faces. Time truly does fly, and looking at this picture makes me vow to savor each and every blessed moment. The sweet and the bittersweet moments, the exciting and mundane moments, the proud and the sad and the wildly thrilling moments, and all the in-betweens... each day gives me the opportunity to enjoy a thousand gifts, and I'm thankful for each and every one of them, no matter how big or small.









“Humbly let go. Let go of trying to do, let go of trying to control, let go of my own way, let go of my own fears. Let God blow His wind, His trials, oxygen for joy's fire. Leave the hand open and be. Be at peace. Bend the knee and be small and let God give what God chooses to give because He only gives love and whisper a surprised thanks. This is the fuel for joy's flame. Fullness of joy is discovered only in the emptying of will. And I can empty. I can empty because counting His graces has awakened me to how He cherishes me, holds me, passionately values me. I can empty because I am full of His love. I can trust.” 
― Ann VoskampOne Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are







This is the day that the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.
~Psalms 118:24


Happy spring !

Popular Posts