I Have A Dream


On the evening before Down Syndrome Awareness month begins, I have a dream. 

I have a dream that my little girl will be seen for the person she is first - instead of the syndrome. 

I have a dream that when people meet my daughter, their first instinct is not to feel pity for our family - but shared joy for the gift we've been given. 

I have a dream that by sharing our hearts and our stories, we as parents of children with Down syndrome can help others to understand that a label can't define our children. They are unique and invaluable and special. Just like any other child. 

Lily isn't a syndrome, she's a child .... who has Down syndrome . She doesn't have a disease and she isn't suffering. She isn't always happy - she has highs and lows and a full range of emotions just like you and me. She isn't an angel or a messenger from Heaven ... she's a little girl who has opinions and throws tantrums and can be just as naughty as the next little girl ;)

She's just a child ... who has Down syndrome . 

I have a dream that when you meet Lily , or any other person with Down syndrome, you see what I see ... an individual. Someone who has hopes and dreams and preferences and feelings and potential - and was fearfully and wonderfully designed by their Creator... a person. 

Just like you and me ❤️


Popular Posts